If you wanted to go somewhere warm on holiday, which city would you choose: New York or Sydney?
While Sydney is 6 degrees hotter on average over a year, no one would buy flights to Australia on this information alone. New York City is warmer from May to September, and Sydney warmer for the rest of […]
Implicit in all the decisions around player trading and youth promotion is a prediction about the depth of squad needed to compete during the season. Some clubs hope to go deep in all competitions, others are content at prioritising the league.
Given the average footballer’s annual pay is a deeply material cost to the club, it […]
- It's hard to believe that 2015 is already drawing to a close, and yet here we are - with our last Evolution blog of the year.
- Last year, Stanford University released a report detailing the attitudes of corporate executives and directors towards succession planning and talent development.One of the more striking findings highlighted a blind spot that persists at board room level: 50% of the study’s interviewees believed their board had an effective succession plan in place for senior positions, but only 25% felt that their business had an adequate pool of successors for key C-suite roles.
- In 1994, a group of psychology students nearing the end of their honours thesis were asked how long they thought their project would take to submit. Just 30% finished in their predicted time, and the average prediction was 22 days too short.
- Football creates outliers like no other sport. A miscued shot here, an 50/50 handball call there, and before long it’s no wins in ‘x’ games, or no goals in ‘y’ hours. Most outliers find their way back to earth, their tether being reeled in by the forces of probability. But for Borussia Dortmund this season, the tether has yet to go taut; results have continued to spin wildly into space.
- With the hectic Christmas fixture schedule upon us and the January transfer window looming, priority management is the order of the day.Consider this analogy: football’s ticking clock.